Welcome to 247fixes PC Help Forum

Welcome to 247fixes PC Help Forum! Like most online communities you must first register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

Please read over Welcome To 247Fixes to learn more about our site.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What's Good And Whats Not?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TMFKSOFT

TMFKSOFT

Thomas Edwards

• Member+
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:16 AM

Tonight I took to the IRC's!
I've asked in both my personal channel and the 247Fixes channel for peoples views on Antivirus Software.

In this QUICK Post I'm going to SKIM over the following Software:

• MSE
  • Avast
  • AVG
  • Comodo
  • SpyBot
  • Norton
  • Malwarebytes
  • Zone Alarm
  • ESET
  • Kaspersky
When I say SKIM I mean I'm going to just highlight a few points and come to a conclusion of what people like and what I personally like.
I'll add a POLL to this topic for you to cast your vote on the aforementioned software and feel free to drop a reply and even Argue between yourselves what you personally prefer.

Let's begin.

MSE aka Microsoft Security Essentials
MSE is my personal favourite and a lot of Windows Users Favourite when it comes to Free AntiVirus Software.
Its Free and a lot of people use it for their customers, It does well at removing viruses and comes with scheduled scans along with the ability to exclude file types, files and folders!
It fully removes viruses instead of just moving them to a vault, it also automagically updates its definitions when there's updates.

Avast
I've not personally used Avast for long time use. I've used it once and weren't keen on it plus It doesn't visually appeal to me (Looks very Tacky)
People have praised its features a lot however most people have found it to flag a lot of False Positives, It's free and has got two versions you can obtain for no cost. However there is a paid version that hangs at £30/£50 but there's also a Free Mobile version!

AVG
I used to use AVG a lot not too long ago but after a reinstall I decided to try MSE out. Its a well known and trusted AntiVirus Software and has been in the business for a very long time. It has at one point had a time where it flagged False Positives.

Comodo
I have't had anything bad said about Comodo to me. Yet.
It's well praised to be a good AntiVirus Solution and Firewall at the same time. Like Avast theres a Free and Paid version.
I have also been told it
"
does also have 2 browsers based on Chrome and Firefox, which implement a DNS solution ontop of your System."
Which I havent seen much on. But if its true it sounds like a great idea.

SpyBot
I've not been told much that's good about it. It's been said to be low on Multi-core CPU's and is a general RAM Hog. It used to be pretty bloated and v2 has a dumbed down UI that now has the resident protection 'teatimer' removed.
There is a Free and a Paid version too. Along with a Business Version.

Norton
Like SpyBot it's said to be a RAM Hog but does offer a really good protection as described to me "Norton is a piece of crap (unless you want very great protection but want a slow computer)" which sounds very encouraging.. Plus its not free, for the cheapest version you need to fork out £30!

Malwarebytes
I were recommended this back when I went to school. It's my alternative to MSE!
It's great for Surfing the internet as it detects bad websites and blocks them or alerts you, it also provides Real-time Protection and general Web Filtering.
It however is free to use for scanning your machine but £20 if you want the Web Filtering and Real-time Protection. I've used all features due to 'borrowing' it from the internet. However, I personally would pay for it.

Zone Alarm
No one has told me much about it. The most that's been said is its free and has a paid version.
After the quickest mooch onto Google, I can see its rated 4.5/5 on one site I'm reading and is show and described to have a very simple UI and instructs you what to do and how to use is.

ESET
I've never heard of ESET before in my life. I need slapping I know.
From what I've been told I've gathered its not a RAM Hog and runs on your system without slowing you down, It's got a great Antivirus and comes with a FireWall built in. It however isn't free to use and you need to pay £60 for it for 2 years. It's also described to not be Bloated.

Kaspersky

Most people I've asked have said that it WAS good but its now gotten slower and has became very bloated. From a look at a screenshot of it It looks very simple to use and has a nice obsession with Green, Maybe they're addicted to Grass?

That's all I've got to say. Feel free to reply with one that's not listed and correct anything I've mentioned.

All Software above has been pointed toward me for them being

Well known, Doing their Job, Having large databases and having great features.

Thanks,
Thomas Edwards.

p.s. A lot of people have also said that they prefer paid versions or pay for only software for their professional solutions.

#2 therock247uk

therock247uk

Owner

• Administrator
  • 7,062 posts
Contributor

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

very nice post ill post my thoughts in a bit.

#3 turtledove

turtledove

247 Instructor

• Administrator
  • 1,250 posts
  • Interests:Helping others, fixing computers, music, reading

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:42 AM

Nice list . :)

My personal favs are Avira and Online Armor, along with Malwarebytes Pro.

All 3 have free versions.  I found Avira better than Avast/AVG.

#4 therock247uk

therock247uk

Owner

• Administrator
  • 7,062 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:45 AM

I use MSE/Winpatrol/Malwarebytes pro/Super anti spyware

#5 turtledove

turtledove

247 Instructor

• Administrator
  • 1,250 posts
  • Interests:Helping others, fixing computers, music, reading

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

winPatrol Pro here too. Love Scotty :)

#6 Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Visiting Staff
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Computer security

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Malwarebytes
I were recommended this back when I went to school. It's my alternative to MSE!
It's great for Surfing the internet as it detects bad websites and blocks them or alerts you, it also provides Real-time Protection and general Web Filtering.
It however is free to use for scanning your machine but £20 if you want the Web Filtering and Real-time Protection. I've used all features due to 'borrowing' it from the internet. However, I personally would pay for it.

For the benefit of anyone coming across this poll, all things are not created equally.  The list includes a mixture of antivirus and antimalware software programs.  Neither Malwarebytes nor Spybot are antivirus programs.  Thus, neither, including Malwarebytes, can be considered an alternative to MSE.

My personal favorite for a free antivirus software is MSE and ESET for a licensed/paid solution.  NOD32 is the ESET antivirus only and ESET Smart Security is the suite.  I also use Malwarebytes Pro and, most definitely, WinPatrol!

#7 LilBambi

LilBambi

Forum Junkie

• Visiting Staff
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Camping, Hiking, Reading, Movies, Music, Family, more.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

My personal favorite for a free antivirus software is MSE and ESET for a licensed/paid solution.  NOD32 is the ESET antivirus only and ESET Smart Security is the suite.  I also use Malwarebytes Pro and, most definitely, WinPatrol!

Ditto!  :thumbup:

Edited by LilBambi, 04 June 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#8 TMFKSOFT

TMFKSOFT

Thomas Edwards

• Member+
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

Yeah. Im a big fan of MSE, I used it on all machines running Windows and pretty much as my favourite weapon against the usual viruses.
Thanks,
Thomas Edwards

#9 Nick

Nick

• Member+
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:58 AM

I personally use Avast along with MalwareBytes.

Never had problems with them ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users